For the past 30 years I have been writing pieces on request for individuals and organizations whose desires have ranged from piano suites for university fine arts departments, to memorial pieces and wedding waltzes. Some of the projects were small and narrowly defined, while others were large in scope and ambition. In every type of commission I encounter I aim to work very closely with my client throughout the composition process to provide a product that is both congruent to their needs and creatively distinct. (Please click here or see below for the details of my commission process.)
Areas of composition in which I specialize:
- Choral Pieces
- Piano Pieces
- Wedding Pieces
- Memorial Pieces
- Chamber Music
Examples of past commission work:
Wedding Piece – Pianist Rebecca Thoennes-Heyn
Memorial Pieces – Attorney Martin Fiterman
Vocal Pieces – Emily Rakes, Basilica of Saint Mary
Mark Twain Piano Suite – Elmira College Fine Arts Department, New York, NY
Baptismal Flute Pieces – Physician Dennis Waltson, Des Moines, IA
Piano Trio – The Bakken Trio
Contemporary Chamber Music – Zeitgeist Ensemble
Piano Duets – Professor Harry Davidson, Sherwood Conservatory of Music, Chicago, IL
Choral Pieces – Lincoln High, Thief River Falls, MN
Piano Pieces – Minnesota Music Teachers Association
Ballet Suite – Ottumwa Heights College, IA
Recorder Suite – Macphail Center for Music’s Suzuki Orchestra, performed in Lyon, France
Piano/Choral Pieces – Multiple Otto Bremer Foundation/ American Composers Forum Faith Partners Grants:
- Beth El Synagogue – St. Louis Park, MN
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church – Minneapolis, MN
- First Universalist Church – Minneapolis, MN
- St. John’s United Church of Christ – Bayfield, WI
- First Presbyterian Church – Bayfield, WI
My Commission Process:
- First, I meet with a prospective client for a complimentary consultation session to understand what type of work he or she is interested in.
- Together we develop an outline of creative ideas for the composition/project.
- I present a detailed estimate and proposal to the client, including a time frame for the project.
- We finalize goals for the project together and the client signs-off for me to proceed.
- I receive 1/2 deposit to begin work.
- I will submit a preliminary composition for direction-approval.
- I will expand and add detail to the body of the project and present to client for approval.
- Lastly, I will finalize the work and submit for client acceptance, and receive final 1/2 payment.
Follow-up support and coaching:
I believe strongly in the significance of follow-up support and coaching for all of my clients. My goal is for every client to feel comfortable with rehearsing, performing, and engaging the composition. One of the most important and enjoyable events in the composition process is when I get to work with an individual or ensemble on a newly created piece of music. It’s in these times that the passion and creativity of both the client and myself fully materialize.
I’m excited to work with you on your next creative endeavor! Please call me at 651-646-5904 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your free consultation!